Laughing Disorder?

Do you laugh in the face of danger? Do you tweak the nose of disorder?

This recent question came up - an my response is below.

Question: Is there such thing as a laughing disorder?

Okay this started when I was just a boy. My father and I would have serious conversations and all of a sudden out of nowhere, I started laughing. He thought it was funny at first but when it increased, he got so annoyed. Same with my mother. Years later, as a mature adult (age 21), we went to an event and all of a sudden I started laughing again. Now it's been happening like crazy. In class, romantic times with my girlfriend who I piss off a lot when it happens (and she thinks it's her fault). And also during public presentations, funerals, movies that are sad and everything. I am thinking of going to a hypnotist or something. I looked this up and it might be Pseudobulbar disorder which causes that. I need HELP!! I want to stop looking like a laughing freak!

FSC

Answer:

It's not actually a disorder, though it's only a matter of time before someone starts calling it that. What you are experiencing is an anxiety response that triggers a laughter reflex. It's not that you find something actually 'funny', but that laughter becomes a mechanism triggered by anxiety.

Oddly enough you can see something similar in the ex president Jimmy Carter. He used to smile at inappropriate times quite often. During the Iran hostage crisis he was on TV in a press conference grinning like an idiot. Unfortunately this was because he had a propensity to smile as an anxiety response. You may be able to find some of those interviews on Youtube to see for yourself.

You can get over it quite easily by using any self hypnosis MP3 designed to address anxiety issues or panic attacks. They will help you dial down anxiety and as a result reduce the effects. You can find some good ones at http://www.UltimateHypnosisDownloads.com (yes, UHD is owned by my company...)

RH

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Perils Of Morning Exercise.

Using Hypnotherapy To Reduce Sugars In Diet.